Phury is definitely my favourite Brother of the Brotherhood. I fell for him the second he was introduced in Dark Lover. I’ve read Lover Enshrined numerous times and still, my heart breaks every time reading his story. And I feel bad how he got treated, his HEA certainly was lacking everything that the others got. There was no romance, no true passion, no nothing. I feel like, even in his own book he was just a side note.
This cake is a variation of “Snickers cake” and it was inspired by the movie theater scene in Lover Enshrined. The one, where John Matthew took Cormia into mansion’s movie theater and showed her “Dirty Dancing” and Cormia ate M&M’s for the first time. This cake represents the divine first taste of chocolate but it also represents the HEA I wanted for Phury; rich, sweet, overwhelming and with a little surprise.
When John pressed somtehing into her hand, she could barely stand to look away from the screen long enough to see what it was. The thing turned out to be a bag, small, dark brown bag that was open at the top. He made a motion to take something from it and put it in her mouth, so she dipped her hand in. Little multicolored rounds came out and she hesitated.
They were definitely not white. And even on this side she had eaten only white food, as was traditional.
But honestly, what was the harm?
She glanced around, even though she knew there was no one else in with them, and then, feeling as if she were breaking the law, she popped few into her —
Dearest… Virgin… Scribe!
The taste made her tongue come alive in a way that made her think of blood.
(J.R.Ward: Lover Enshrined, hc p.177)
Convert the measures here
|Tyrkisk Peber Crush by Fazer|
2 dl double cream
2 dl brown sugar
1 tbs butter
50 g butter
3 dl wheat flour
1 dl cacao powder
2 dl sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
200 g créme fraíche
1 dl orange juice
100 g butter
1,5 dl icing sugar
100 g cream cheese
200 g white chocolate
1 tbs butter
80 g crushed Tyrkisk Peber – hard salty liquorice candies
1. First the fudge. Mix the double cream and brown sugar in saucepan and bring it to boil. Let it simmer on medium heat unti it thickens, stir it every once in a while. Fudge is ready, when dropping it in cold water it solidifies instantly. Add tablespoon of butter and mix, then set aside to cool.
2. The cake. Preheat the oven to 175’C. Grease a baking tin (18-20 cm in diameter) and flour it. Melt the 50 g butter. Sieve the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix them thoroughly. Add the melted butter, créme fraíche and eggs. Mix together with spoon. Pour the batter into baking tin. Bake in middle level until done, about 30-45 minutes. You can test with a toothpick if the cake is done (batter doesn’t stick in the toothpick when thoroughy baked).
3. While the cake is in the oven, make the fudge-buttercream. Take 100 g butter (should be soft but not melted), add icing sugar and whisk them into cream with electric mixer. Add the cream cheese and cooled fudge. Keep on whisking until creamlike and then put in fridge to wait for the filling of the cake.
4. When the cake is cooled, cut in two or three layers. Fill the layers with fudge-buttercream and finally add a thin layer of the cream also on top and sides of the cake. Put the cake in freezer while melting the white chocolate.
5. Melt the white chocolate either in microwave ( 20 seconds at a time and mixing it between each heating) or in double boiler. When completely melted, add 1 tablespoon butter and 50 g crushed Tyrkisk Peber. Take the cake from the freezer and pour the melted chocolate on top and spread it with a knife. Add the rest of the crushed candies on top. Done!
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Phury’s been my favourite Brother since he was first introduced in Dark Lover. And for me, it wasn’t the scene where his good looks and beautiful hair was described. It was actually two scenes, first the one where they head out and Rhage puts his arm over Phury’s shoulder and the second one, was where Phury pleaded Wrath to treat Zsadist fairly when everyone thought Z had betrayed Wrath.
Though Lover Enshrined is supposed to be Phury’s book, he has a less than little page time compared to how many pages are given to lessers, JM+Qhuinn+ Blaylock and all the other Brothers. There are some interesting turns of events, that have significant role in the future of the Brotherhood.
IMHO Phury gets treated in shitty way in this book. What kind of HEA is one that has no romance or passion? What kind of Brothers desert one of their own when he needs their help and support most? How come suddenly, after everything Phury’s done for Zsadist, Vishous and the Brotherhood, everyone sees just a wretched addict that can only be kicked out of Brotherhood and be deserted. If Phury weren’t so strong, that would have been the end of him. Luckily, being the amazing male that he is, he chooses to fight his demons.
So why would I give a book five stars, when it’s obvious that in my opinion things could have been handled better and Warden did Phury wrong? Well, first of all, because of Phury. I’ve loved him since Dark Lover and my love for him has only gotten stronger book by book.
Second, it is Ward’s talent as an author, that has made me fall for Phury. It’s her talent as an author, that has made it easy for me to identify with Phury. We all have our demons, ghosts that haunt us. Wizards whispering in our ears…
Third, no matter how I hate how Ward treated Phury, the woman can write. All the emotions that her writing provokes, are real. And she really takes you for an emotional rollercoaster ride in her every book and Lover Enshrined is no exception.
Fourth, there are very suprising and wicked events in the book that I definitely didn’t expect. And that keeps the Brotherhood story alive, allows the characters to evolve and keeps it interesting for us readers.